Thursday, June 18, 2015

Career Aspirations

What do I want to be when I grow up? Wow what a big question. I honestly don’t think that is a question I can answer, because I don’t want to be anything when I grow up. Maybe I’ll be a guy that practices civil engineering during the day. Maybe I won’t. That’s about that.

Really though, right now I am pursuing a degree in civil engineering. I don’t know why. Like I’ve mentioned before, I was sort of just placed here. I’ve completed about four years of college time right now and it has been a great ride. When I first started college, I was so captivated by the fact that I could apply myself and actually like learn stuff. I was so thrilled when I was taking differential equations and statics. To me, I felt like I was taking some really hard courses and I felt like a super genius. That’s currently one of my thrills. I like learning stuff and gaining deep perspective on basically anything I can.

As an ambitious college student, I’ve always felt like my education shouldn’t stop at a bachelor’s degree. Life is long. Why not take in as much knowledge as you can? I’ve always been intrigued by research professors. Like as far as civil engineering is concerned, I think that is the goal. Be that cool professor that wears cardigans and spends an excessive amount of money each week on Starbucks. And I’ll teach great too, duh. That’s one cool thing that this research internship has exposed me to. Other than a few engineering lab courses, I have never been exposed to a working lab environment. Like people in this lab actually use white boards and design stuff with some heavy calculations. These guys are smart and busy.

Through this internship, I have been exposed to what life may be like working inside a lab. It’s also cool to watch nervous students approach some of these professors when they turn in their final project. I think that working in a university environment would provide an excellent opportunity to continue expanding my knowledge. And really that is what I want to do. I want to continue my education so that I can get a job that allows me to continue my education.

Heading back home, once this trip is over, I want to keep doing what I have been doing. Finish college. Then probably start working on a Masters immediately after… because why not? Then I’ll slowly work my way to becoming like Tony Stark and become a super cool Doctor. So far this international research experience has sort of opened my perspective on what research and university work is like. I want to finish my last year of undergraduate school with energy and a new take on how great education is. So yeah. Those are my goals for civil engineering. 





Peace.




No comments:

Post a Comment